Station: North Bay City, MI
North Bay City was the major yard for the Detroit & Mackinac railway in Bay City. Northbound freight trains originated here, while passenger trains originated in Bay City proper and passed through here on their way to Tawas City and Alpena. The yard is still used today by the Lake State Railway, however the former D&M main line is truncated north of the yard. The Lake State uses the Central Michigan from this yard south and west to Bay City West Side and north through Wenona.
Photo info/credit: Top, a view of the D&M freight office at North Bay City, where the line crosses E. Wilder Road. The building is now used by the Straits Corporation wood treating operation south of the building. Below, the D&M's engine house in the yard. This was formally a freight house which was retrofitted into an engine house, probably when the line was dieselized in the 1940's. Note the sand tower sticking up from behind the building, about mid-building. [Both, Charles Geletzke]
Auguat 11, 1905. Seeing snakes was a reality in North Bay City Sunday. A large cage full of the reptiles was released by the wrecking of one of Sun Brothers Circus cars. The train jumped the track at a trasfer switch, one car overturning. Most of the reptiles were recapture during the day. [Owosso Times-1905-0811]