Station: Battle Creek, MI - MCRR Station
Battle Creek was a major stop for the Michigan Central railroad on their line from Detroit to Chicago. This station later became a Clara's Restaurant after the MC and GTW main lines were consolidated (on the GTW) through downtown Battle Creek.
The station agent at Battle Creek controlled the eastbound approach signal to the station which was located 3,000' west of the station. Trains receiving a stop signal were required to call the signalman before proceeding past the signal. [ETT-1947]
Photo info: Top three views, the Michigan Central depot with its distinctive tall tower, in Battle Creek. 4th photo, an earlier MC depot at Battle Creek. Next four photos, views of the MC depot at various times of the year. This depot and track closely followed the Kalamazoo River. Bottom view, the remodeled depot serves as Clara's restaurant. This is a view of the ticket window in 2005. [Alan Loftis]
1917, The MC had an agent-operator here around-the-clock. [TRT]