Location: Mackinaw City, MI - Railroad Ferry Dock
The railroad car ferry dock at Mackinaw City was used for car ferry ships between Mackinaw and St. Ignace, MI in the Upper Peninsula. On the south, it was switched by the Michigan Central/NYC and later the Detroit & Mackinac. On the north, it was switched by the Duluth, South Shore & Atlantic.
Photo info/credits: Top, an early postcard view of the Michigan Central loading the Chief. 2nd photo, the Chief Wawatam is photographed at Mackinaw City at sunrise in 1979. [Neil Plagens]. 3rd photo, the Chief approaches the dock in 1978. [Neil Plagens]. 4th photo, a 1909 photo of the dock. The boat on the left is exchanging passengers or freight. The main rail ferry dock is empty at the right. A passenger train appears to be waiting for the rail ferry. It will then proceed south on either the Michigan Central or Grand Rapids & Indiana. Next photo, a closer photo of the same location with the rail ferry at the right. Bottom photo, D&M No. 10 switches the Chief in 1977. [Neil Plagens photo, Mark Andersen Collection]