Station: Aloha, MI
Aloha, in Cheboygan County, was formed as a sawmill settlement about 1903. [MPN] The Detroit & Mackinac railway came through here and established a station stop. The town, on the east side of Mullett Lake, quickly became a tourist spot, and the D&M established a beautiful but rustic depot here.
Photo info/credits: Top, the D&M depot at Aloha. [Alan Loftis Collection] 2nd photo, a color postcard of the depot in the early 1900's. The depot had a look-out tower which gave views of lake sunsets and of oncoming trains. [T. J. Gaffney Collection] 3rd photo, the highway entrance to Aloha with the D&M crossing in the distance at the entrance to town. 4th photo, a southbound D&M passenger train arrives at Aloha to pick up passengers. Bottom, an old photograph of the inside of the rustic depot at Aloha. Note the stone fireplace and log construction. [Alan Loftis Collection]
Coordinates: 45.526190, -84.465361
1909. The D&M owned picnic grounds at Aloha. [MRC-1909]
1924. In the Matter of the Application of the Detroit & Mackinac Railway Com pany for Authority to Make Its Stations Aloha, Tower, Saganing, Long Lake and Lupton Non-Agency Stations. D-1955. September 15, 1924.
Application having been filed herein by the Detroit and Mackinac Railway Company by Henry K. McHarg, Jr., Vice President and General Manager, for leave to change the character of service given at the above named stations from agency stations to non-agency stations; and the same having been brought on for hearing and the testimony taken in relation thereto having been duly considered;
It is HEREBY ORDERED by the Michigan Public Utilities Commission, That said Detroit and Mackinac Railway Company be and it is hereby authorized from and after October 1st, 1924, to change the character of Service given at its stations at Aloha, Tower, Saganing, Long Lake and Lupton, from agency stations to non-agency points.
MICHIGAN PUBLIC UTILITIES COMMISSION