Location: Cheboygan River (D&M) Bridge, Cheboygan, MI
This is a high, fixed span bridge originally used by the D&M to reach Cheboygan. The span, across the Cheboygan River, survives as a foot/snowmobile bridge. The bridge was constructed just before the D&M reached its north terminus in 1905. The railroad stopped using the bridge around 1981 and the rails were removed about 10 years later. The bridge now serves pedestrian and snowmobile trail.
Photo info/credit: D&M 481 and 974 pull a southbound freight over the Cheboygan River bridge just south of Cheboygan in 1977. The box cars contain paper products - likely diapers - from the paper plant in Cheboygan. [Neil Plagens]