Print

Station:  Algonquin, MI

Algonquin, in Chippewa County, was also known as Neaceville. The hamlet was 1.5 miles west of the Sault Ste. Marie Bridge No. 1. It came into existence in 1890 when H. B. Nease, Sons & Co. built a large sawmill here. Alexander & Ainsworth built another large sawmill in the vicinity in 1891. John Torrent built still another large sawmill (also known as the Ducy Mill) in 1892. It was sold to Grank Perry in 1898. Kelly & Meyer built a shingle mill at Algonquin in 1898. These mills also had docks. [CP/MIHX8]