Station: Clare, MI
Clare was established in 1840. The Pere Marquette railroad came through in 1870-71 and the town became a village in 1879 and a city in 1891. [MPN]
With a direct connection from the abundant forests to logging centers in Ludington and Saginaw, the Pere Marquette had significant freight loadings of forest products when it arrived in the area and for the next 40 years. The Ann Arbor railroad came through in 1888.
Photo info/credits: Top, and 2nd, two views of the union depot at Clare. The depot served both the Pere Marquette and Ann Arbor railroads. The top photo was taken in July, 1980. [Charlie Whipp] The 2nd photo was taken in May, 1984 and shows a TSBY freight train headed by former AA 393, ready to leave eastbound after switching cars for industry. [Neil Plagens] 3rd photo, the depot in 1979. [Chalres Geletzke Jr.]. Bottom photo, C&O 3570 leads a westbound freight train through Clare interlocking headed towards Ludington. September, 1969. [Charles Geletzke Jr.]