Station: Deward, MI
Deward, in northwest Crawford County, was settled in 1901 around a saw mill, owned by the David Ward estate near the Manistee River. Ward was a lumberman and industrialist from Detroit. The mill operated until 1912. The town was a station stop on the Detroit & Charlevoix railroad, which later became a MC branch line. The town was abandoned about 1932. [MPN]
The lumber operation used the D&C to transfer forest products to East Jordan and onto ships to Chicago and Milwaukee, or on rail cars that were interchanged with the MC at Frederic.