Mine: Loretto Mine, MI
Loretto Mine was an iron ore mine located at Loretto, MI in Dickenson County.
E ½ of SW ¼, SE ¼, SW ¼ of NW ¼ and W ½ of SW ¼ of Section 7; SE ¼ of NW ¼, SE ¼ of NE ¼, NW ¼ of SE ¼ and E ½ of SE ¼ of Section 13, Township 39 North, Range 29 West
On July 21, 1908, contractor John Marsch brought nearly one hundred guests to Loretto on a special Wisconsin & Michigan Railway train to watch as the Sturgeon River was diverted into its new bed. Marsch’s crew had cut a channel 5,440 feet long, excavating some 260,000 cubic yards of earth and limestone rock, so that the Loretto Mine could be connected with the Appleton Mine which were separated by the Sturgeon River. During the excursion from Iron Mountain to Loretto guests were provided with a sumptuous lunch and entertained by Castel’[s Band. [Menominee Range Historical Museum]