Print

Station:  Watersmeet, MI

CNW Watersmeet DepotWatersmeet MIWatersmeet was a village built around a junction point on the Chicago & Northwestern railroad.  Their line from Iron River west to Ironwood crossed a branch line here built north from Land-O-Lakes, Wisconsin, through town, and north into the forests around Lake Gogebic. Watersmeet was settled around 1884.

C&NW facilities at Watersmeet included water, coal, a turntable, a wye, and a seven stall roundhouse. They also had a yard here.  This was at MP 102.9 (from Powers, MI).

Photo info/credit: Top, an early photo of the Chicago & Northwestern depot at Watersmeet with two diverging passenger trains. [Alan Loftis collection]. 2nd photo, what was formally the crossing of both C&NW lilnes in Watersmeet, now a snowmobile train crossing in 2003. [Dale Berry]

The C&NW Roundhouse in Watersmeet was built about 1890 on Roundhouse Road. The roundhouse was constructed of tile blocks and had nine stalls, a roof pitched to the rear of the building and an interior frame of massive oak beams. It had an inside ircumference of 110 feet, an outside circumference of 230 feet and is 80 feet deep. [UPM]