Station: Alma, MI

Union Depot, Alma MIUnion Depot, Alma MICO-AA Crossing Alma MICO Ralroad Freight House Alma MIAA Ralroad Freight House Alma MIAlma was settled in 1853 and by 1855 a sawmill was located here. The village was platted in 1856. The town legally became a village in 1872 and a city in 1905. [MPN]

Alma was the crossing of the Pere Marquette and Ann Arbor railroads. This crossing, which can be viewed in the top photograph near the depot, was not interlocked. It was protected by a target signal, shown in the 3rd photo. In 1945, the station was staffed during the day shift only. There was one AA passenger train daily (#51 westbound at 1:18 p.m. and #52 eastbound at 12:06 p.m.). 

The Pere Marquette also had one train each way daily except Sunday through Alma. This was on their 2nd subdivision between Elmdale and Saginaw. The westbound train was #31 arriving at Alma at 3:45 p.m. and the eastbound was train #32, passing Alma at 11:54 a.m.

Photo Info/Credit: Top, The Alma Union depot, serving the Ann Arbor and Pere Marquette railroads, 2nd photo, the same depot with people and livery services waiting for the train, 3rd photo, the grade crossing of the PM/AA at Alma which was protected by a target signal, [Charles Geletske Jr.], 4th photo, the C&O freight house at Alma [Charles Geletzke Jr.] and 4th photo, the Ann Arbor Railroad freight house at Alma in 1972. [Charles Geletzke Jr.]

1891. In 1891 a new passenger station was erected at Alma on the DL&N. [DL&N-1891]

1905: The PM enlarges the freight house at Alma. [PMAR-1905]

1918. The AARR had a day station agent here. [TRT]