Station: Hillsdale, MI
Hillsdale was settled around 1834. It was called Hillsdale Center in the early days. The town, in the center of Hillsdale County, was incorporated as a village in 1847 and it officially became a city in 1869. [MPN]
The first railroad to arrive in town was the State of Michigan owned Southern line in 1843. The line continued west to Jonesville in 1849. In 1871 the Detroit Hillsdale and Southwestern built their. line west from Ypsilanti through Hillsdale, continuing southwest a few more miles to Bankers. The Fort Wayne, Jackson & Saginaw line bypassed Hillsdale in favor of Jonesville in 1869, but the line soon diverted through Hillsdale once firmly under Lake Shore ownership.
Click here for other Hillsdale information: