Mine: Centennial Mine, Centennial Heights, MI
Centennial Mine was a copper mine located north of Red Jacket/Calumet in Houghton County. Operations becan in 1869 and ultimately included seven inclined shafts. Centennial was reported to not have been a profitable operation. The mine was organized by the Centennial Mining Comany in 1896and began working the Kearsarge Load in 1899. Controlling interest passed to the C&H Company in 1907 and then merged with them in 1923.
Shaft #1 & 2 were located east of US-41 and M-26. [UPM]
Shaft #3 had a steam-driven Lidgerwald hoist dating from about 1890. Another hoist was at this location, a steam-driven hoist c. 1900 originally located at the Colorado mine, then Tamarack shaft #5 before being moved to Centennial #3. It was modified to be driven by a GE 500 hp 2,200 v 125 a unit which operates at 442 rpm. [UPM]