Mine: Calumet and Hecla Mine, Calumet, MI
The Calumet and Hecla mining properties were located between the original Calumet (later Laurium) and Red Jacket (which later assumed the current name of Calumet). C&H was the largest operator of copper mines in Michigan. These C&H mines were first worked in 1866 and had 12 inclined shafts and one vertical shaft by the end of operations. Other C&H owned mines in the area had additional shafts.
The C&H Company purchased the Wolverine Tube Company in 1955, located at 1411 Central Avenue, just north of the Wabash railroad in southwest Detroit. Copper billets were sent by rail from the C&H smelters to Wolverine where theyu made seamless copper tubing.