Station: Mason, MI
Mason was settled about 1836 as Mason Center nine miles south of downtown Lansing on the Michigan Central's Saginaw Branch. A sawmill was located here. It became the county seat of Ingham County in 1840. Mason became a village in 1865 and a city in 1875. [MPN]
Photo info/credit: Top, A 1908 photo of the Michigan Central Mason depot with No. 8203 a 4-6-0 Schnectady-built Class F-81a pulling a freight train through town. Note the crossing watchman in the foreground of the photo. The 8203 was built in November, 1889 and scrapped by the MC in April, 1922. [Mark Worrall collection]. 2nd photo, the NYC depot at Mason in 1983. [Charlie Whipp]. 3rd photo, an older photograph. [Alan Loftis collection]. 4th photo, the former depot in 2003, now used as a restaurant. [Alan Loftis]. 5th photo, a postcard view of the Masdon Interurban Depot, date not known.