Print

Station: Mason, MI

MC Mason MI Depot with train MC Mason MI Depot MC Mason MI Depot MC Mason MI Depot Mason was settled about 1836 as Mason Center nine miles south of downtown Lansing on the Michigan Central's Saginaw Branch. A sawmill was located here. It became the county seat of Ingham County in 1840. Mason became a village in 1865 and a city in 1875. [MPN]

Photo info/credit: Top, A 1908 photo of the Michigan Central Mason depot with No. 8203 a 4-6-0 Schnectady-built Class F-81a pulling a freight train through town. Note the crossing watchman in the foreground of the photo. The 8203 was built in November, 1889 and scrapped by the MC in April, 1922. [Mark Worrall collection]. 2nd photo, the NYC depot at Mason in 1983. [Charlie Whipp]. 3rd photo, an older photograph. [Alan Loftis collection]. 4th photo, the former depot in 2003, now used as a restaurant. [Alan Loftis]