Station: Portland, MI
Portland, in Ionia County, was settled about 1833. It was incorporated as a village in 1869. It was located on the Looking Glass River in southwest Ionia County. [MPN]
The town was a station stop on the Pere Marquette line between Grand Ledge and Howard City, about 12 miles northwest of Grand Ledge.
Photo Info/Credit: The Portland "Boosters for Christ" leave on a Pere Marquette passenger train, heading for Belding on March 2, 2917. [Vanhorn photo, Alan Loftis collection]
1887 Water tank. The DL&N builds a new water tank at Portland. [DL&N-1887]
1886 Freighthouse. The D&LN freight house at Portland was built to replace the previous building which was destroyed by fire. [DL&N-1886]
1890 improvements. New stock scales were constructed. [DL&N-1890]