Location: Tawas City, MI - D&M facilities
The Detroit and Mackinac railroad had their main offices and shops in Tawas City, right on the East Tawas border. The roundhouse and machine shops were built here by predessor Detroit, Bay City & Alpena and the large depot and offices consolidated depots from both towns where the railroad crossed Oak Street. Most of the complex was in Tawas vs. East Tawas.
When the D&M was sold to the Lake States Railway, much of the real estate was owned by the Straits corporation. The property was developed and most buildings torn down. A Walmart and McDonalds are now on te site and the railroad line was diverted around the back of the Walmart building.
Photo Info/Credit: Top, the DM depot and offices at Tawas City. [Mike Fogelsinger collection]. 2nd and 3rd photos, the outside of the Detroit & Mackinac roundhouse at East Tawas City. 4th - 6th photos, three inside shots of the roundhouse taken about 2000. Note center cab #10 which served the railroad for many years at the Big Cut gravel quarry near Millersburg in Presque Isle County. 7th photo, a detail photo of one of the arches at the roundhouse, indicating its origin as the predessor Detroit, Bay City and Alpena Railroad Company. [All, Larry Gibson]
April 3, 1930: The Michigan Public Utilities Commission approves the consolidation of individual depots at East Tawas and Tawas City into one station toi be located between the two towns to be known as "East Tawas-Tawas City". The request came from the railroad and both cities agreed to the change. [MPUC-1930]