Location: AuSable Junction, MI
This crossing was located in AuSable in Iosco County. It was a crossing of the Detroit Bay City & Alpena railroad (later D&M) and the narrow gauge AuSable and Northwestern railroad. The drawing depicted at the left is from 1890. At that time, the crossing was very simple, protected by derails on the A&NW and by derails and semaphore signals on the DBC&A. These devicrs were operated and interlocked by a Union Sign & Signal ground interlocking device with only two levers.
Photo Info/Credit: A drawing made from 1890 blueprints from the interlocker files in the State of Michigan archive. [Dale Berry]