Print

Station:  Wurtsmith Air Force Base, MI

Wurtsmith Air Force Base was located three miles northwest of Oscoda in Iosco County. In 1925 it was originally called Camp Skeel. In 1953 it was renamed Wirtsmith Air Force Base. The base provided bombers during the cold war. Airplane fuel was brought into the base by rail off the D&M's Skeel Spur.