Print

Timetable: NYC - Ypsilanti Branch - Ypsilanti to Bankers (via Hillsdale)

This line was the Detroit, Hillsdale and Southwestern and became the Ypsilanti Branch of the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern. Station hours are from 1943.

Station MP from Ypsilanti Notes
Ypsilanti 0.0  DN J
Washtenaw Avenue xDJC  
Pittsfield Junction xAA  7.1 
Saline  11.1 
Bridgewater  17.3   
Manchester   
Manchester Junction  25.4   
Brooklyn  35.7  D W
Cement City  40.7   
Somerset  43.5   
Somerset Centre  45.3   
Jerome  48.9   
North Adams  55.6 
Hillsdale  61.1  DA DS
Bankers     
     

Notes: This line was dispatched from the Lake Shore Division headquarters at Hillsdale.

Ypsilanti: Ypsilanti branch trains used the MC station here. They had a connecting track which ran along side the MC main line across from the depot.

Washtenaw Avenue: This was a crossing of the interurban line which ran between downtown Ypsilanti and downtown Ann Arbor.

Pittsfield Junction: There was a station located here - probably for receiving and sending local freight and an occasional passenger coming from or going to the Ann Arbor railroad which crossed here. By 1943 the station was closed. This crossing later was an automatic interlocker which continued to exist until 2015 when it was removed and gates were installed.

Manchester: The Detroit, Hillsdale & Southwestern had their own station here for a time, located near the M-52 highway crossing east of the river trestle. This station was closed when Ypsilanti branch trains began using the Lake Shore's Jackson branch depot.

Manchester Junction: This was apparently originally an at-grade crossing with a diamond with a very slight crossing angle probably prone to derailments. Early on, this diamond was removed and two junction swiches were installed. Ypsilanti branch trains wishing to cross the Jackson branch lined both junction switches and the flagman reset them after the train crossed. Ypsilanti branch trains also used the junction switch to back down the Jackson branch to the Lake Shore depot here. A bell system rang at the junction if the Jackson branch block was occupied by a train.

Cement City: The Ypsilanti branch crossed under the Big Four Jackson branch, which was built after the Ypsilanti branch had been in operation. A large cement plant was located in the southwest quadrant of this crossing.

Jerome: The NYC's DT&M branch line crossed under the Ypsilanti branch at this location.

Hillsdale: Apparenty when the Ypsilanti branch was built through Hillsdale (to Bankers) it may have actually crossed the Old Road at grade. But when both lines came under Vanderbilt family control, this was changed to a junction and Ypsilanti branch trains entered the Old Road for a couple of city blocks to the Lake Shore's station here. The Ypsilanti branch line south of the Old Road was converted to a southbound route for all Lake Shore trains to reach Bankers and ultimately Fort Wayne, IN.

Note Key: BB=Bascule Bridge | C=Coal | CS=Car Shop | D=Open > Day | DA = Open Days and Afternoons | DN=Open Day and night | DS=Dispatcher | DT=Double Main Track | EH=Enginehouse | F=Diesel Fuel | HI=Half Interlocked Crossing | I=Interlocked Crossing | J=Junction | LB=Liftbridge | N=Open at night | P=Passing Track w/40' car capacity | Q=Quarry | RH=Roundhouse # stalls | RT=Railroad Resort | S=Scales | SB=Swingbridge | T=Turntable | TC=Telegraph call | W=Water | X=Crossing | Y=Wye | Yard=Yard

[REF] =