Memphis was settled about 1834 on the Macomb/St. Clair County line. A sawmill was located here. The town was called Wells' Settlement but renamed Memphis in 1848. The village, which is located in both counties was incorporated in 1865 and became a city in 1953. [MPN]
Memphis was a station on the Pere Marquette Almont Branch and is about 16 miles west of Tappan.
Photo Info: Top, the PM depot and water tower at Memphis. [Alan Loftis collection]
1892. June 3. The Almont division of the F&PM has been closed to traffic today on account of a washout near Memphis. Trains have run from both ends of the line to the break, and transfers of mail and passengers have been made by team. It is expected that the line will be open tomorrow. [DFP-1892-0604]
The following sources are utilized in this website. [SOURCE-YEAR-MMDD-PG]: