Fort: Fort Mackinac, Mackinac Island, MI (1780)
Built (1780) → Fort Mackinac → Decommissioned (1821). Became trading post. Now a state park.
Built by: British. Turned over to the U.S. in 1796.
Military Use: Support British during Revolutionary War.
The British, who were occupying Fort Michilimackinac on the mainland, built this limestone fort on the bluffs on Mackinac Island above the Straits of Mackinac. The British held these outposts during and after the Revolutionary War despite the terms of the Treaty of Paris in 1783. They did not relinquish the fort to the U.S. until 1796.
The fort was used as a strategic troop reserve by the U.S.