Railroad: Crawford and Manistee River Railway Company, The

The Crawford and Manistee River railway was a logging line which was built in 1885 from the Manistee River in Kalkaska County into nearby forests. The line was abandoned and removed in 1904. [MRL]

BuiltCrawford & Manistee River Railway → Abandoned

Built: 1885 ten miles from T25N-R5W Section 13 to T26N-R6W Section 25 near Manistee.

Operated for 19 years.

Abandoned in 1904.

Reference: [MRRC]


This was a 3' gauge logging railroad. The railroad paid $117.53 in state taxes in 1896. [DFP-1896-0516]

Time Line

1903. SNAPSHOT: The Board of Directors of this line was from Manistee and Ludington. There were 7 shareholders. The railroad reported 10 miles of main track and 3 miles of sidings and spur tracks. The railroad had two stations, and one each of engineer, fireman, conductor and brakeman. It had one section gang made up of 6 laborers. The line had one locomotive (20-30 ton), 41 logging cars, and 2 other cars. The railroad was owned by 7 stockholders, from the Ludington and Manistee areas. The line had two stations. [MCR-1903 and 1904]


The following sources are utilized in this website. [SOURCE-YEAR-MMDD-PG]:

  • [AAB| = All Aboard!, by Willis Dunbar, Eerdmans Publishing, Grand Rapids ©1969.
  • [AAN] = Alpena Argus newspaper.
  • [AARQJ] = American Association of Railroads Quiz Jr. pamphlet. © 1956
  • [AATHA] = Ann Arbor Railroad Technical and Historical Association newsletter "The Double A"
  • [AB] = Information provided at Michigan History Conference from Andrew Bailey, Port Huron, MI

Contact Us

Invalid Input

Invalid Input

Invalid Input

Invalid Input

Invalid Input

Invalid Input

Email: webmaster@michiganrailroads.com