Oakland County - 63

Station: Novi, MI

PM Novi MI Depot PM Novi MI Depot PM Novi MI Depot Novi was settled about 1825 as Novi Corners. It was located on the Plank Road and stage line which ran between Detroit and Lansing (along what is now Grand River Avenue). Novi became a village in 1958 and a city in 1969. [MPN]

One misconception is that Novi was named after the 6th toll gate (No. VI) on the Grand River toll road. However, the township was named in 1832 and the toll road was not constructed until the 1850s. A similar claim is made about the township being stop number 6 on the railroad. However, the Holly, Wayne & Monroe Railway (now CSX) was not constructed through the township until 1870–71, almost 40 years after the township was named. A third popular misconception is that Novi was the sixth stagecoach stop outside of Detroit. [Wiki]

Photo Info: Top, the PM depot in Novi with the local elevator in the background. 2nd photo, the same depot in an overhead view. [Alan Loftis collection]. 3rd photo, a 2003 view of a railroad building at Novi, possibly the same structure but modified. [Alan Loftis]


Notes


Time Line

1898: Novi was a regular station stop on the F& PM and had a daytime agent at the station. At that time, there was a 50-car passing track here.

 

Station: Novi, MI

PM Novi MI Depot PM Novi MI Depot PM Novi MI Depot Novi was settled about 1825 as Novi Corners. It was located on the Plank Road and stage line which ran between Detroit and Lansing (along what is now Grand River Avenue). Novi became a village in 1958 and a city in 1969. [MPN]

One misconception is that Novi was named after the 6th toll gate (No. VI) on the Grand River toll road. However, the township was named in 1832 and the toll road was not constructed until the 1850s. A similar claim is made about the township being stop number 6 on the railroad. However, the Holly, Wayne & Monroe Railway (now CSX) was not constructed through the township until 1870–71, almost 40 years after the township was named. A third popular misconception is that Novi was the sixth stagecoach stop outside of Detroit. [Wiki]

Photo Info: Top, the PM depot in Novi with the local elevator in the background. 2nd photo, the same depot in an overhead view. [Alan Loftis collection]. 3rd photo, a 2003 view of a railroad building at Novi, possibly the same structure but modified. [Alan Loftis]


Notes


Time Line

1898: Novi was a regular station stop on the F& PM and had a daytime agent at the station. At that time, there was a 50-car passing track here.

 

Bibliography

The following sources are utilized in this website. [SOURCE-YEAR-MMDD-PG]:

  • [AAB| = All Aboard!, by Willis Dunbar, Eerdmans Publishing, Grand Rapids ©1969.
  • [AAN] = Alpena Argus newspaper.
  • [AARQJ] = American Association of Railroads Quiz Jr. pamphlet. © 1956
  • [AATHA] = Ann Arbor Railroad Technical and Historical Association newsletter "The Double A"
  • [AB] = Information provided at Michigan History Conference from Andrew Bailey, Port Huron, MI

Contact Us

Invalid Input

Invalid Input

Invalid Input

Invalid Input

Invalid Input

Invalid Input

 
Email: webmaster@michiganrailroads.com

Social