Location: North Yard, Detroit, MI

North Yard is located on the Michigan Central Bay City branch (Detroit to Bay City) between Conant Avenue on the south and East McNichols Avenue on the north, in an area which was originally called North Detroit. It became part of the City of Detroit in the early 1900's. This was a hump classification yard for the Michigan Central and later the New York Central, handling trains to central and northern Michigan as well as the auto industry in Warren, Sterling Heights and Utica. It continued to operate in 2014 under Conrail Shared Assets ownership by NS and CSX, though hump operations have been removed. The yard is a bit more than 1.5 miles in length.


Notes

Location: 42o24.566'W / 83o02.152'W.


Time Line

1902. The Michigan Central is acquiring a peculiar shaped tract of land along the north side of the Bay City division of their road, extending from Carpenter road (near the Belt Line yards) along the right-of-way belonging to that railroad for more than a mile and a half. The strip of land is 200 feet wide for a distance of about one mile and a quarter, and belongs to Theodore H. Eaton and Clarence Carpenter, who are cousins. They own 244 acres of land and have pulled their interests. [DFP-1902-0204]

1950's, North Yard held 1,782 cars (847 in the north receiving yard, 835 in the class yard, and 100 in a GTW interchange yard).

Location: North Yard, Detroit, MI

North Yard is located on the Michigan Central Bay City branch (Detroit to Bay City) between Conant Avenue on the south and East McNichols Avenue on the north, in an area which was originally called North Detroit. It became part of the City of Detroit in the early 1900's. This was a hump classification yard for the Michigan Central and later the New York Central, handling trains to central and northern Michigan as well as the auto industry in Warren, Sterling Heights and Utica. It continued to operate in 2014 under Conrail Shared Assets ownership by NS and CSX, though hump operations have been removed. The yard is a bit more than 1.5 miles in length.


Notes

Location: 42o24.566'W / 83o02.152'W.


Time Line

1902. The Michigan Central is acquiring a peculiar shaped tract of land along the north side of the Bay City division of their road, extending from Carpenter road (near the Belt Line yards) along the right-of-way belonging to that railroad for more than a mile and a half. The strip of land is 200 feet wide for a distance of about one mile and a quarter, and belongs to Theodore H. Eaton and Clarence Carpenter, who are cousins. They own 244 acres of land and have pulled their interests. [DFP-1902-0204]

1950's, North Yard held 1,782 cars (847 in the north receiving yard, 835 in the class yard, and 100 in a GTW interchange yard).

Bibliography

The following sources are utilized in this website. [SOURCE-YEAR-MMDD-PG]:

  • [AAB| = All Aboard!, by Willis Dunbar, Eerdmans Publishing, Grand Rapids ©1969.
  • [AAN] = Alpena Argus newspaper.
  • [AARQJ] = American Association of Railroads Quiz Jr. pamphlet. © 1956
  • [AATHA] = Ann Arbor Railroad Technical and Historical Association newsletter "The Double A"
  • [AB] = Information provided at Michigan History Conference from Andrew Bailey, Port Huron, MI

Contact Us

Invalid Input

Invalid Input

Invalid Input

Invalid Input

Invalid Input

Invalid Input

 
Email: webmaster@michiganrailroads.com

Social