Location: Fumee, MI

Fumee is a location near Fumee Falls between Iron Mountain and Quinnesec in Dickenson County. This was a C&NW junction of their Powers to Iron Mountain line and the C&NW Lake Antoine Branch, also known as their "Loop Line".


Note

This was located at milepost 23.1. This was the west end of double track on the C&NW. In fact, the Loop Line was the second main line from this location going east.

The Loop Line branch crossed over the W&M railway just north of Fumee. [CNWV]

Ther W&M/CM&StP railroad also came through here to the north of the C&NW main line. The W&M ran east-west here to Quinnesec and the CM&StP had a junction here and headed northwest to Antoine. [CNWV]


Time Line

1888. Fume Creek railroad bridge. The C&NW built a stone arch bridge over Fume Creek in 1888. This bridge likely replaced an earlier wooden structure which was put in place ten years earlier when the railroad came through. It is a stone arch bridge 25' high, 30' wide with wing wlls extending another 20' and approximately 60' long. The arch opening is 20' wide and 25' high at the center. [UPM]

Location: Fumee, MI

Fumee is a location near Fumee Falls between Iron Mountain and Quinnesec in Dickenson County. This was a C&NW junction of their Powers to Iron Mountain line and the C&NW Lake Antoine Branch, also known as their "Loop Line".


Note

This was located at milepost 23.1. This was the west end of double track on the C&NW. In fact, the Loop Line was the second main line from this location going east.

The Loop Line branch crossed over the W&M railway just north of Fumee. [CNWV]

Ther W&M/CM&StP railroad also came through here to the north of the C&NW main line. The W&M ran east-west here to Quinnesec and the CM&StP had a junction here and headed northwest to Antoine. [CNWV]


Time Line

1888. Fume Creek railroad bridge. The C&NW built a stone arch bridge over Fume Creek in 1888. This bridge likely replaced an earlier wooden structure which was put in place ten years earlier when the railroad came through. It is a stone arch bridge 25' high, 30' wide with wing wlls extending another 20' and approximately 60' long. The arch opening is 20' wide and 25' high at the center. [UPM]

Bibliography

The following sources are utilized in this website. [SOURCE-YEAR-MMDD-PG]:

  • [AAB| = All Aboard!, by Willis Dunbar, Eerdmans Publishing, Grand Rapids ©1969.
  • [AAN] = Alpena Argus newspaper.
  • [AARQJ] = American Association of Railroads Quiz Jr. pamphlet. © 1956
  • [AATHA] = Ann Arbor Railroad Technical and Historical Association newsletter "The Double A"
  • [AB] = Information provided at Michigan History Conference from Andrew Bailey, Port Huron, MI

Contact Us

Invalid Input

Invalid Input

Invalid Input

Invalid Input

Invalid Input

Invalid Input

 
Email: webmaster@michiganrailroads.com

Social