Station: Richmond, MI
Richmond, in Macomb County, was settled about 1837. The town became a village in 1879. [MPN]
Richmond is located on the Grand Trunk Western (now CN) Detroit to Port Huron line, about six miles northeast of New Haven. Richmond was also a junction point for the GTW air line between Richmond and Pontiac.
Photo Info/Credit: Top, the GTW depot at Richmond, taken in the 1970's. [Jim Slater]. 2nd photo, a GTW locomotive (913 or 313) with crew at Lenox (Richmond) MI. [T.J.Gaffney collection]. 3rd and 4th photos, the inside of the depot in 2003. [Alan Loftis]
February 21, 1893. Last evening a snowplow, which was being run over the Michigan Air Line division of the Grand Trunk Railway, was derailed when about three miles west of this village (Richmond). The snowplow and locomotive were considerably damaged, and two men who were riding in the plow were slightly injured, while the engineer and fireman escaped injury. Employees of the railroad company claim that the accident was caused by the wind, which was blowing a gale, and an unusually large snow drift. The engine did not leave the track. The broken plow and engine were sent to Fort Gratiot for repairs. [DFP-1893/0221]
1917. The GTW had an agent here as well as operators around the clock. [TRT]