Station: Kaleva, MI
Kaleva, in northeast Manistee County, was settled about 1894 as Manistee Crossing. It was renamed Kaleva in 1900. The town became a village in 1948. [MPN]
Kaleva was the crossing of the Pere Marquette north-south line from Grand Rapids to Traverse City and the Manistee & North Eastern main line from Manistee to Copemish. Both railroads used the depot, making it a small "union" depot by railroad terms.
When the M&NE came under PM ownership, the M&NE line was abandoned between Kaleva and Interlochen in favor of the PM route.
Photo Info/Credit: Top, an old photo of the union depot in Kaleva. 2nd & 3rd photos, a 2004 view of the restored depot from two sides. The top is a street view and the bottom faces the former railroad diamond crossing. [Alan Loftis]
1908 improvements. The PM built a new depot here. [PMAR-1908]