Station: Gibbs, MI (Montmorency County)

Gibbs was a forest location on the Boyne City, Gaylord & Alpena railroad at the west edge of Montmorency County. It was located about 12 miles west of Altanta, north of Vienna. the town was established in the 1890's by the White Lumber Company. The business district of the town consisted primarily of a row of company buildings and a railroad station with an attached saloon. A post office called "Kissippi" was named here because another Gibbs already existed in Michigan. It opened in 1910 replacing the post office branch in Hetherton. [LITF]