Station: Lake Gogebic, MI

Lake Gogebic StationLake Gogebic was discovered about 1853 by the Gogebic Mining Company. The townsite later became a station stop on the Duluth, South Shore & Atlantic railroad, about three miles west of Bergland in southern Ontonagon County. The town was called Ballentine and then Korelock. It was renamed to Lake Gogebic in 1918. [MPN]

The station here was at milepost 272.4 in Section 12, T48N-R43W. [DSSM]

Photo Info/Credit: Top, the DSS&A depot at Lake Gogebic in 1910. The lake, one of the largest in Michigan, is on the left.


1907. Lake Gogebic had a DSS&A water tower as of 1907. [SSP1907]