Station: Matchwood, MI
Matchwood was settled about 1888 by the Diamond Match Company. They established logging camps here and harvested pine trees here to produce matches. [MPN]
This was a station on the Duluth, South Shore & Atlantic railroad about 10 miles east of Bergland and Lake Gogebic.
1893. The town was nearly wiped out by a forest fire but was rebuilt. A similar forest fire hit the town in 1906. [MPN]
Pine lumber mill located here in the late 1880s. [DSS]