Station: Ontonagon, MI

MILW Ontonagon MI Depot MILW Ontonagon MI Depot MILW Ontonagon MI Depot MILW diesels at Ontonagon MILW Ontonagon MI Enginehouse Ontonagon MI railroad bridge Ontonagon MI railroad bridgeOntonagon is the county seat of Ontonagon County and was founded about 1843. The village was platted about 1854 and was incorporated as a village in 1885. [MPN]

Photo Info/Credit: Top, Above, a large crowd has assembled to greet the Milwaukee Road passenger train at Ontonagon. Visitor dress and vehicles suggest this photo was taken around 1920.  Someone important must have been arriving to draw such a large and interested crowd. [Alan Loftis Collection]. 2nd photo, the former Milwaukee Road Depot at Ontonagon, Michigan. The branch line (which was called by it's former name, the O&B (Ontonagon & Brule River Railroad) ends about 200 yards north of the depot near the shipyard. 2003. [Dale Berry]. 3rd photo, a 1972 view of the Milwaukee Road Ontonagon, Michigan depot. 4th photo, Milwaukee Road diesels parked at Ontonagon in 1975. [Bob Wilheim photo]. 5th photo, a view of their 2-stall engine house at the same location and year. [Both, Charles Gelezke, Jr.] 6th photo, the Ontonagon River bridge looking towards the paper mill at the west end of the bridge.  7th photo, looking towards the paper mill from the west leg of the wye.  2008. [Both, Greg Bunce]

The MILW had a water tower in Ontonagon.


1896. The village of Ontonagon is completely destroyed by fire in August. The fire was started about noon from brands carried from the swamps south of town by a gale into the dry lumber piles of the Diamond Match company, which contained about 50,000,000 feet of seasoned lumber. The DSS&A agrees to bring supplies at no charge to Sidnaw and askes the MILW to do the same to Ontonagon. [Calumet News 0826-1896]

1899The railroad bridge over the Ontonagon River was fabricated in 1899 by the Lassig Bridge and Iron Works of Chicago. It is 15' wide and 470' long overall. There are four distinct segments: a southern approach 130' long consisting of five steel deck girder spans; a northern approach timber trestle 156' long; and two steel Pratt through trusses, each 100' long, resting on concrete piers. [UPM]

1900.  The MILW station and roundhouse was built about 1900. The roundhouse was on Steel Street. [UPM]

1918. MILW had a station agent here on the day shift and a 1st and 2nd shift telegraph operator. [TRT]