Station: Ewen, MI

DSSA Ewen MI DepotDSSA Ewen MI DepotEwen was founded about 1888 as a logging camp. [MPN] A depot was established here by the Duluth, South Shore & Atlantic railroad (later Soo Line) and the town was a division point for many years where train crews changed shifts. It was located at milepost 255.3 in Section 27, T48N-R40E. [DSSM]

Photo Info/Credit: Top, the Soo Line depot at Ewen in the 1970's. [Rob Kitchen]. 2nd photo, the same depot in 1982. [Greg Bunce]


Timeline:

1890. The Ewen depot was located on Main Street and was built about 1890. [UPM]

1907. The DSS&A had a water tower at Ewen in 1907. [SSP1907]

1918. The DSS&A had an operator/agent and assistant here during the day shift. [TRT]


Industry:

Three lumber mills, late 1880's. [DSS]