Location: Manistique, MI - Manistique Furnace
1910. The Manistique furnace, located as it is at Manistique, Michigan, has excellent railroad facilities by being on the lines of the Chicago, Milwaukee, and St. Paul, Sault Ste. Marie, and Ann Arbor Railroads. This stack was originally built by the Perry Chemical Company about 1890 and was acquired in 1910 by the present Lake Superior Iron and Chemical Company.
It has been out of blast since June, 1910, but it will probably go in blast again about June, 1912. Extensive changes have been made in the plant, and by the time it is ready to go in blast it will, without doubt, be one of the best equipped charcoal pig iron plants in the country.
The furnace is 59’ 6” high with a 12' 6" bosh diameter. The diameter of the throat is 7' 6" and of the hearth is 7', with a hearth depth of 5' 4”. Its rated daily capacity is from 110 to 120 tons of pig iron. The furnace is hand filled. The blast is heated by Durham hot blast pipe stoves which heat the air up to approximately 960° F.
Its blowing engine is of the Nordberg cross compound horizontal type with a rated capacity of 10,000 cubic feet per minute. There is also a Weimer vertical engine which has a capacity of 8,000 cubic feet per minute. The furnace proper will use about 7,600 cubic feet of air per minute under a pressure of 6½ pounds. Six Wicks vertical water tube boilers furnish a total of 1500 H. P. for the running of the blowing engines, pumps, and the other mechanical appliances around the furnace. They are equipped so as to use the waste gases from the blast furnace.
As new installation there is being erected a charcoal kiln plant very similar in detail to that which is found at the Newberry furnace and which will be discussed at further length in the description pertaining to the Newberry furnace. [From ISIS-1911]