Station: Haring, MI
Haring was settled four miles north of Cadillac in 1872. The Cobbs & Mitchell company had a sawmill here. Haring was called Linden by the railroad, then Haring in 1872. [MPN] The location was about two miles south of Missaukee Jct.
Haring was a lumbering settlement that was created along the Grand Rapids & Indiana railroad, in Wexford County three miles north of Cadilac. The village was settled in 1871. Ephraim Shay, inventor of the Shay locomotive concept, was one of the original settlers of the town. He was an early lumberman and designed and perfected his Shay locomotive here along with William Cripen who had a machine shop in Cadillac. The railroad depot for the town was known as Linden for many years. The town began its decline in 1888 when Shay moved to Harbor Springs. [GTM2]