Station: Union Pier, MI
Union Pier in Berrien County was first called Townline from its location on the line between Chickaming and New Buffalo townships. An early sawmill was built on the site. The town was located on the Pere Marquette main line about six miles north of the Indiana state line.
Photo info/credit: The PM depot at Union Pier. Below, an older photo of the depot with a PM passenger train loading in front. Note the unusually large overhang on the front of the depot, which looks a bit like the Milwaukee Road designs used throughout the midwest, including the western Upper Peninsula of Michigan. [Alan Loftis collection]
- 1873 - The Chicago and Michigan Lake Shore railroad reported that they had a 1,400 wooden Howe Truss bridge over the Gallen [sic] River at this location. [MCR/1873]
1907 new facilities. The PM installed a train order signals here. [PMAR-1907]