Station: St. Johns, MI
St. Johns was founded in 1853 in north central Clinton County. It was incorporated as a village and was designated as the county seat in 1857. It became a city in 1904. [MPN]
St. Johns was located on the Grand Trunk Western (former Detroit & Milwaukee line) about 10 miles west of Ovid. This line was later sold to the Central Michigan railroad. An interurban line also reached St. Johns from the south (Lansing).
Photo info/credit: Top, an early 1910 photo of the depot with train.. 2nd photo of the GTW depot at St. Johns. [Alan Loftis collection]. 3rd photo, a photo of the same depot taken in May, 1988. [Jim Slater] 4th photo, the GTW 5832 switches the grain elevator in St. Johns, on January 6, 1985. [Dennis Schmidt]. Bottom, a Central Michigan train passes the former depot in October, 1988. [Gary Worrall]